What is the White Church Gallery?

Mike and Carrie Zaitz are renovating an old Methodist Church in Grindstone City, Michigan. Mike claims he just wanted a place to work on his art. He sold Carrie on it, since she's usually up for adventures. From that happy December of 2011 till now, the investment in time and money has seen the church rebuilt from its glorious bones into a work of art, in progress. Carrie is documenting the process because, well, it's easier to hold a camera than to hold an edging sander. She's done both, because she is having an adventure, but it is Mike who drives this project with his intelligence, talent and energy. Together they are working toward creating an art gallery. A gallery which holds objects of beauty and inspiration, but which always points back to the source, our heavenly Father.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Blue Shadows

I'm just in love.


Lofty

From A Distance

And across the lane, the Peer House. Beautiful!

Frosty

We are blessed to be able to resurrect the old Church and hopefully the spirit of the folks who toiled and lived here. 






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love what you are doing with the old church. My mother went to this church back in the 1930's. My great Aunt Della McCann own a house just across the street from the parking lot (that house has since been torn down).

I didn't realize they added a front on the old Captain Peer Building. When I was a kid up there the Mikolowski's owned it. It makes me homesick looking at those photos.

pnavock@tampabay.rr.com

czaitz said...

Thanks for your comments! I wonder if you have any pictures/ stories you are able to share? I'm always curious about the history of this incredible place, and the people who lived there. The Captain Peer building used to have a front porch, apparently, and the new owners (The Fishers) wanted to recreate it- so they hand built the new rails and made it look just stunning. They did an enormous amount of work to save the place and make it last into the future, and soon it will be opening as an old-timey ice cream and penny candy store, along with other things, I'm sure. Come for a visit this summer- maybe we can cure your homesickness! The Church needs more work, but soon it, too, will be open for visitors, and if we are there, you are welcome to come in and say hi!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to visit family this summer but not sure if I will be able to. My vacation time is getting eaten up by medical visits. I'm retired military and the job I did caused some damage to my bones and joints.

If you are familiar with the house on 8930 Wallace Road that is my retirement home (soon). I bought it in 2007 along with 40 acres of field, pasture and woods. My brother across the road watches it for me.

My family does have old pictures but I have none with me here. My mom (gone now) had a picture of the corner grindstone before the cedars were tall.

BTW, the rude cows you pictured, those are my other brother's.

Phil Navock.